Wednesday, February 12, 2014

In Which Mabel Tells a Story: How David Left His Mark

STORY TIME GUYS! I'm gonna tell you how David broke his leg (despite being in a wheelchair) and how there is now a permanent mark at Lane Tech of our existence.

To those of you who don't know, David has SMA (spinal muscle atrophy) and has been in a wheelchair most of his life. He also get's really sleepy in the morning when it's cold. This is a very bad combination. This is what the little fucker of a best friend looks like:


Anyways, it was my freshman year, we weren't as close as we are now. It was dead end winter, and the only thing on my mind at the time (other than listening to Rise Against on full volume on my mp3) was getting inside as fast as possible. As I was about to walk inside the building, I see David parked nearby the little rail guard things by the entrance. Now I'm not paying attention, so from my point of view, it just looks like he's stuck or something, so my first reaction is "Hey David, see you inside." And for the rest of the day I'm wondering where David was because he never showed up.

The reason for this is because he broke his leg. Yup. The kid in the wheelchair broke his leg. What happened was that, because it was a cold early morning, he was super sleepy and thus not in full control of hit motor functions, so he accidentally drove his chair into the railing. The snow made him lose control momentarily, so he couldn't stop and ended up crashing into the post. And consequently broke his leg. So while I thought he was just stuck (with a bunch of people crowding around, in what I presumed, to help him get unstuck), he was actually cursing worse than a sailor and yelling at the top of his lungs because he broke his leg. Yes, that actually happened.

To this day, there is a mark on that rail guard and we see it whenever we enter and exit the school. Somehow David blames me.


That long grey mark is where his chair hit the rail guard. It's been three years and it's still there! I laugh every time I see it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment