Thursday, February 6, 2014

The Depression Cure: Death of Nothing

(The following is an angsty depressive poem I wrote when I experienced one of my first heartbreaks. It's whiny and stupid and honestly, no one should read it.)
A Death of Nothing
There’s a tiny trickle of blood
That flows from a stream.
It’s never ending,
Always flowing.

I trace it to its roots.

Oh!

It’s my heart.

Have I become so numb to pain,
That I can’t even feel my heart bleeding?

What creature have I become that
Something so grand as my heart
Can have such little meaning?

To staunch such heavy bleeding,
I must first experience more pain.

Digging my way through
I ripped out this small,
Little thing that means so much,
And safely tuck it into a box.

No longer shall I be one with the fools
So proudly wearing their hearts on
Their sleeves.
Now I shall have it under
Lock & key.

But somehow,
You managed to creep in
And open the box to my heart,
And soften it with your fingertips.

You held my heart so close to yours
(Or so I hoped),
And gave me a reason to be a fool again.

I couldn't but help the sigh
Of ecstasy that came when I
Was loved again.

And right when I was nearly rejuvenated,
You did something horrible;
You stabbed my heart.

While I lay dying and twitching
All I could say was:
“Why?”

And you replied:
“Because you are nothing.”
And your fair lips grazed my own,
As my last breath
Escaped my body.

You leaned back up, smirking,
Looking for your next victim.

No comments:

Post a Comment