Friday, January 31, 2014

In Which Mabel Begins to Read the Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka

So I just read the first few pages of The Metamorphosis for English class two periods back (I would've posted this last period, but someone *coughCoopercough* didn't want to share his laptop), so I'm just gonna talk about my first impressions here.

Gregor Samsa, the main character, is pretty interesting insofar how he acts in other's considerations is a direct contradiction almost to his true nature and the way he perceives of the world. Like seriously, the guy hates his job with a passion, and would love nothing more to do than yell at his boss and tell him all the shit he's gone through, just to enjoy the expression on his face, yet he tries very hard to keep his job and stay in it out of familiar obligations and a sense of duty.

He comes off as a quiet soft-spoken person in his manner of speech, yet what he says, in it's content, is no where near the soft spoken attitude he gives off. In fact, he's surprisingly witty so far, and a bit strong in his speech, yet I can't quite get the image out of my head that he speaks in soft hushed tones. I'm really enjoying the clashing of this personalities, as if he's almost leading a double life without even knowing about it.

The writing's also in a way that is not overtly flowery to disinterest the reader, not simple enough that it's bland. I believe my favorite part so far is the fact that he just accepts that he's now turned into a large spider/insect thing and accepts it as something that just is. I'm definitely going to have fun reading this from now on.

No comments:

Post a Comment